Boris L. Gelmont
Visiting Research Associate Professor
Thornton Hall - E218
351 McCormick Road
PO Box 400743
Charlottesville, VA 22904-1000
Phone: (434) 924-6090
FAX: (434) 924-8818
Boris Gelmont's present research area includes theoretical aspects of electronic materials and devices, theory of novel semiconductor devices (resonant tunneling diodes, quantum cascade lasers), modeling of devices (field effect transistors,Schottky diodes), transport and optical properties of semiconductors.
Sc. D., Ph.D., Ioffe Institute of Physics and Technology, Leningrad, Russia Senior member of IEEE and a member of the IEEE Electron Devices Society Member of the International Union of Radio Science. Awarded the State Prize, Russia's highest scientific award, for his work on the theory of narrow-band and zero-band gap semiconductors.
- Simulation, Fabrication and Characterization of Terahertz Frequency Sources (funded by the U.S. Army Research Office)
- Computational Modeling of Light Induced Transformations in Organic Molecule (funded by the U.S. Army Research Office)
- The Science and Technology of Nano/Molecular Electronics: Theory, Simulation, and Experimental Characterization (subcontract from SIT)
Most Recent Publications:
- T. Globus, D. L. Woolard, A. C. Samuels, B. L. Gelmont, J. Hesler, T. W.Crowe and M. Bykhovskaia, "Submillimeter-Wave FTIR Spectroscopy of DNA Macromolecules and Related Materials", J. Appl. Phys, V.91, No 9, p. 6106-6113 (2002)
- T Globus, P. Rocai Cabarrocas, B. Gelmont, "Defect Related Absorption in Hydrogenated Silicon Films", International J. of Noncrystalline Semiconductors v.299-302,p.615-620 (2002).
- B. Gelmont, D. Woolard, W.Zhang, and T. Globus, "Electron Transport within Resonant Tunneling Diodes with Staggered-Bandgap Heterostructures", Solid-State Electronics, Vol. (2002).
- B. Gelmont, D. Woolard, S.Chen, "Polar Optical Phonon Enhancement of Harmonic Generation in Schottky Diodes", International Journal of High Speed Electronics and Systems (2002).
- T. Globus, D.Woolard, M. Bykhovskaia, B. Gelmont, L. Werbos, A. Samuels, " THz-Frequency Spectroscopic Sensing of DNA and Related Biological Materials ", pp.1-34, Terahertz Sensing Technology, v.2, ed. D. Woolard, M. Shur, and W. Loerop , World Scientific, 2003.