Lloyd R. Harriott
Virginia Microelectronics Consortium Professor and Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education
Thornton Hall - E213
351 McCormick Road
PO Box 400743
Charlottesville, VA 22904-1000
Phone: (434) 243-5580
FAX: (434) 924-8818
A member of the Electrical Engineering faculty at the University of Virginia since January of 2001, Prof. Harriott was appointed Department Chair on January 10, 2004. Lloyd received M.A. and PhD. Degrees in physics from the State University of New York in Binghamton in 1976 and 1980 respectively. He joined Bell Laboratories in 1980 and was part of the team that developed the EBES4 field emission electron beam lithography system for mask and wafer lithography. From 1983 to 1990 he developed fundamental technology and applications for focused ion beams including defect repair and circuit diagnosis. His research covered liquid metal ion sources, ion-solid interactions, beam induced chemistry for deposition and etching. He received the Bell Labs Distinguished member of technical staff award in 1987. Further research developed an all-vacuum lithography process combining molecular beam epitaxy, low damage dry etching, and focused ion beam patterning for development of laser and quantum structures in InP materials. He became a technical manager in the advanced lithography research department in 1993. He became director of the department in 1996 with responsibility for advanced optical and next generation lithographies. The work in his department included advanced optical lithography including DUV at 248 nm and 193 nm as well as resolution enhancement technologies such as phase shift masks and optical proximity correction as well as early work in EUV lithography. He was program manager of the SCALPEL projection electron beam lithography program at Bell Labs and Lucent Technologies. He has published over 120 technical papers, 2 book chapters and holds 8 US patents. He has served on program committees and chaired several international conferences in the field of lithography.
- SCALPEL Projection Electron Beam Lithography proof of concept(DARPA 1994-2000)
- Mask Technology for Electron Projection Lithography (SEMATECH 1996-2000)
Most Recent Publications:
- L. R. Harriott, "Focused Ion Beam Induced Gas Etching", Japanese Journal of Applied Physics (1995).
- L. R. Harriott, "Focused Ion Beam XeF2 Etching of Materials for Phase-Shift Masks", Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology, B11, 2200, (1993).
- L. R. Harriott, R. R. Kola, and G. K. Celler, "Chemically Assisted Focused Ion Beam Etching for Tungsten X-ray Mask Repair", Proc. SPIE Microlithography, 1924, 76, (1993).
- L. R. Harriott, "The Technology of Finely Focused Ion Beams", Nuclear Instruments and Methods, B55, 802, (1991).
- L. R. Harriott, Y.L. Wang, H. Temkin, J. Weiner, "Vacuum Lithography for 3-Dimensional Fabrication using Finely Focused Ion Beams", Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology, B8, 1380, (1990) -Invited paper.