People/Web Search Calendar Emergency Info A-Z Index UVA Email University of Virginia

Skip to Content

Graduate Program in Electrical Engineering

ECE at U.Va. offers three graduate degrees in electrical engineering: doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.), master of science (M.S.), and master of engineering (M.E.). The Ph.D. program requires a minimum of 72 credits of coursework and research beyond the bachelor’s degree and the completion and defense of a research dissertation. The M.S. also requires 30 credits but 6 of these credits are completed through a research thesis. Students receiving financial aid from the department are normally required to register in the M.S. degree program. The M.E. requires the student to complete thirty credit hours of graduate-level coursework and is normally offered to students not seeking financial aid from the department.

When applying for a place in the graduate program, it is important to clearly state your area of interest. The research areas are:

  • Controls (nonlinear control theory, CAD of control systems, adaptive controls, and multivariable control systems).
  • Communications (information theory, optical communication, image and video processing, statistical signal processing, medical imaging, and digital communications).
  • RF and Microwave Devices (MEMS in microwave and mm-wave circuits, novel HF solid-state devices for sources and receivers, mm-wave circuits and devices, microwave radiating structures, terahertz sources and receivers, and devices for radio astronomy).
  • Device Fabrication (MBE, novel materials, lithography, nano-fabrication, electron and ion beam processes, and nano-structures).
  • VLSI and Microsystems (mixed-signal CMOS design, analog CMOS, Microsystems and microfabrication, low-power VLSI, FPGAs, digital VLSI).
  • Electrophysics (superconducting devices, device theory and modeling, novel electronic devices).
  • Safety-Critical Systems (risk assessment, train control systems, intelligent ground transportation).

Links of Interest

The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at